4 Day Cultural Adventure - (4 days, 3 nights)
This 4 day cultural adventure package highlights three of the World Heritage sites in Central Vietnam including Hue, Hoi An and My Son and goes to one of the best national parks in the country. The trip starts in Hue and works its way down south through the national park to Hoi An. The itinerary can also be run in reverse. The activities include boat rides, treks, and lots of wandering through caves, temples and other ruins.
Day 1 - Hue Excursion (L, D)
Hue is known as an ancient Capital City of Vietnam. There are more than 100 architectural works which reflect the life of Emperors and Mandarins under Nguyen’s reign. Situated on the hillside of the Southern Bank of the Perfume River are the tombs of Nguyen Kings.
- Pick up in Hue at your hotel and transfer to the Hue boat station where we will cruise for about one hour along the Perfume River to visit Thien Mu Pagoda (The Heavenly Lady pagoda).
- After a one hour to visit, we meet our vehicle to continue with a visit to Tu Duc King’s tomb and Khai Dinh’s Tomb. These are fantastic representations of Royal Architecture during the Nguyen Dynasty.
- Lunch is taken along the way back to Hue.
- After lunch, we will continue with a visit the Citadel and the Forbidden Purple City; and Dong Ba Market (local market).
- Drop off at hotel in Hue
Day 2 - Hue to Bach Ma National Park (B, L)
Bach Ma National Park is located about 60 kilometers from Hue. The National Park was created in 1991 to protect the center of the last corridor of forest stretching from the South China Sea to the Annamite Mountain Range at the border with Laos. It was an old French hill station before it became a national park and the remains of the old villas built here can still be seen, along with lots of wildlife and fantastic waterfalls.
- Pick up in Hue at your hotel and transfer to Bach Ma. It takes 1 hour to the visitor center of the Park for a brief rest before heading up the mountain.
- Lunch at Do Quyen Restaurant (elevation 1,200 meters).
- After lunch we trek out to Rhododendron Falls (about 2 hours). Beautiful forest with fantastic lakes and streams and a 300 meter waterfall at the end.
- Time permitting, there is a Ropes Course that runs through the canopy in the park and is an optional activity.
- Depart from the park for Hoi An (2 hour drive).
- Drop off at your hotel in Hoi An. Free night for dinner and exploring the old quarter.
Day 3 - Hoi An and Marble Mountain Abseiling (B, L)
- Pick up at your hotel and transfer to Marble Mountain (30 minutes).
- Walk up to the practice area where the guides will run you through the basics of abseiling down sheer rock faces.
- The first abseil is a 25 meter drop down a wall with excellent exposure and views of China Beach.
- The second abseil drops 15 meters into a cave used by the buddhists as a small temple.
- Picnic lunch and a chance to visit some of the other caves in the area. This site was used by the Viet Cong as a hideout during the war.
- The final abseil is a monster 55 meter drop into Hells Cave for an Indiana Jones experience you will never forget.
- Transfer back to your hotel in Hoi An. Free evening to explore and have dinner on your own.
Day 4 - Hoi An to My Son Holy Land (B, L)
This excursion is a great way to spend the day when visiting Hoi An and Central Vietnam. Most people are aware of the fantastic temples of Angkor Wat in Cambodia, and these temples at My Son date from the same period and are from the same indigenous group of people. My son is located 68 km (42 miles) southwest of Hoi An and it lies in an emerald circular valley about 2 kilometers in diameter. Our drive by vehicle takes us about an hour and a half to reach the site.
Hoi An Ancient Town is an exceptionally well-preserved example of a South-East Asian trading port dating from the 15th to the 19th century. Its buildings and its street plan reflect the influences, both indigenous and foreign, that have combined to produce this unique heritage site.
- Pick up at Hotel at 8:00 am.
- Spend the morning walking through the ruins at My Son Holy Land.
- Drive back to Hoi An for lunch.
- Afternoon excursion through old town Hoi An, exploring old merchant houses, the Japanese Bridge and other sites of historical importance.
- Drop off at hotel and end of the trip.